The 2022 Blue Tech Sprint is a 6-week program for startups to accelerate the tools and technologies that could transform how we understand and leverage the power of the ocean. The maritime industry presents innovators with huge economic opportunity and the opportunity to meaningfully address climate change, protect our coastal resources and bolster our defenses.
The six-week sprint program will be broken into three distinct modules designed to offer a wide range of industry perspectives, customer acquisition, and an understanding of the funding landscape.
– Module One, Experts in Blue Tech will discuss the sector and why high-impact startups are critical to pushing innovation forward.
– Module Two will focus on Blue Tech Opportunities, as we hear from successful founders and leaders in government who are successfully navigating the blue frontiers.
– Module Three, Funding Blue, is when founders will immerse themselves in discussions with blue investors and DOD and SBIR experts to better understand both equity financing and non-dilutive funding options for their solutions.
401 Tech Bridge is proud to assist with a united goal to bring together maritime leaders with startups that have the ideas and tools needed to deepen our use of the ocean to support early-stage startups with a technical competency that can be applied to:
‣ Accelerate engagement, impact, innovation, and speed to tech transfer
‣ Drive understanding and connection for blue tech entrepreneurs to the needs of commercial markets (like the offshore wind industry)
‣ Deepen startup awareness of industry needs and challenges
‣ Provide startup teams with the education, connections, and resources to effectively work with government and defense-focused partners
‣ Drive increased SBIR/STTR awards to MassChallenge supported startups
The Blue Tech areas that were prioritized for consideration in 2022 were:
401 Tech Bridge and the NavalX Northeast Tech Bridge are providing strategic expertise and support for a Blue Tech focus area within the MassChallenge Early Stage Accelerator, Safety & Security Track.
We are looking for high tech and high potential young companies who are developing products and technology for undersea, offshore wind and maritime markets and interested in joining an accelerator where they’ll gain insight on the needs of the U.S. Navy. A select group of startups will be chosen to participate in the proven MassChallenge Early Stage accelerator program. There they will receive focused support from the NavalX Northeast Tech Bridge and 401 Tech Bridge, gaining:
The Blue Tech concentration is funded by the Office of Naval Research through the Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division Newport.
“The 401 Tech Bridge team is excited to partner with MassChallenge to execute this program and ultimately contribute to Rhode Island’s burgeoning blue technology ecosystem. This programming will showcase the state as a leader in ocean-based innovation, accelerate economic growth and focus on environmental issues facing our state, the country and global leaders.”
Applications from all disciplines are welcomed and encouraged.
We are particularly interested in hearing from innovators and startups focused on these technical domains:
Transform Digital Capability
• Digital Engineering
• AI/Machine Learning
• Additive Manufacturing
“MassChallenge’s mission is to equip bold entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and create meaningful change. We believe our partnership with 401 TechBridge will enable us to leverage the expertise, industry networks and resources in the state’s ocean economy to help the blue technology sector grow….A cornerstone to our success in any geography is identifying partners such as 401 Tech Bridge who have proficiency as a super-connector and mentor in the state’s advanced materials, technology, defense and commercial arenas.”
Jim Owens and his team at Nautilus Defense design and build advanced material-integrated systems with a focus on mechanical performance, survivability, and development speed to continually deploy solutions for their Army, Navy, and Air Force customers.
Learn how 401 Tech Bridge helped Nautilus get their innovations in front of the people who need them in an efficient and effective manner.